Sunday, June 14, 2009

It started with a trip to Europe...

A whole explanation for how my engagement fell apart is a post for another time, another place.  Let's just say that I had a very rough couple of years. These years were filled with mental abuse, fear, lost dreams and an ensuing depression.  The trip to Italy was supposed to be a honeymoon that had been postponed time and time again.  In some ways, it is funny.  It was my ex-fiance (still boyfriend at the time) who encouraged me to go to Europe by myself. That was 12 days before the scheduled flight.  I didn't think I could do it. I didn't think I had the strength to fight my fears about being alone -- especially alone in the most romantic countries in the world. 

It was a Friday when he suggested to make the trip. I immediately dismissed it.  However, Saturday morning I sat up straight in bed at six in the morning and knew that it was something I had to do.  I got to planning. By the end of the day I had my trip mapped out. I had hostels booked and cheap flights planned. (Of note...I also got over my snobbery of staying in a hostel!)  
The days leading up to the trip were hard. I would put on a brave face at work and would come home and be a wreck. I was so scared. I was so scared of being alone and not in control of the situation. But of course I had to go!  

November 27, 2008 was the start of my new life. It was the start of my regaining my independence and becoming the person -- the woman -- I once was. In fact, I became a better version of that woman.  


No comments:

Post a Comment