Sunday, June 21, 2009

When in Rome...

Upon landing in Rome, I immediately started to find the spark within myself that had been missing for so long. Despite the November night air and rain, I immediately headed over to the Vatican to just drink it all in.  I had dreamed of going to Italy for a dozen or more years and was in absolute awe of my surroundings.  I found a quaint (yet very overpriced -- even for Italy standards) pizzeria and had the most charming waiter.  Maybe he is programed to give "extra value" service, but he was so sweet and lovely to me.  I found it.  It didn't take long, but I found it.  The spark inside that had been extinguished for so many years.  It was there all the time and I just needed to feed the flame to have it grow inside of me.  

I had a few other fabulous flirtations and one of the most noteworthy came in St. Paul's Cathedral where one of the Swiss Guards hit on me during a Sunday night mass. He offered to give me a private tour of the Duomo -- code word for making out in the bell tower.  So sweet, but not interested.

I moved on to Firenze and found the most homey and comfortable bed and breakfast / hostel in Italy.  The manager, a very handsome and young guy named Salih greeted me and the two Canadian girls from Rome that I had recruited to come with me to Firenze.  One of the girls was giving Salih a very hard time and I was mortified.  Still, the three of us headed out into Firenze for what would become a life changing trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment